Cumin Pilaf, with Flat Beans and Mini Plum Tomatoes
July 02, 2014
July means plenty of fresh beans and sweet, ripe tomatoes! We have a summer veggie pilaf recipe for you!
Feel fee to replace the flat beans with runner beans or mange tout/ mini plum tomatoes with cherry tomatoes or chopped vine tomatoes, depending on what you have in your veg box ;)
CUMIN PILAF, WITH FLAT BEANS AND MINI PLUM TOMATOES
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
300g basmati rice, rinsed twice and drained
500ml vegetable stock
sea salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
150g flat beans, sliced
1 punnet mini plum tomatoes, halved
handful of coriander, chopped
1. Heat oil in a heavy-based pan over medium heat. Fry chopped garlic and cumin seeds, till fragrant.
2. Add basmati rice to cook, stirring, until the rice is coated with the fragrant oil.
3. Add stock, bringing to the boil. Season, then reduce the heat down to a low simmer and let cook covered for 5 min.
4. Add the beans and tomatoes on top of the rice (do not stir!). Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes till beans are tender and tomatoes have collapsed.
5. Remove the pan from heat, and set aside, covered, for the rice to fully absorb the liquid and finish cooking in the residual heat.
6. When the pilaf is done, stir through with a fork to loosen. Check seasoning and finish with coriander.