Gnocchi with Cherry Tomatoes, Basil and Butter
July 10, 2014
Gnocchi are little Italian fresh pasta dumplings made of potatoes, flour and egg. They have a wonderful texture and flavour that easily complements many ingredients. This one is perfect for summer, using sweet ripe cherry tomatoes and fragrant basil, and a cheeky dab of butter to create a sauce that's packed with flavour.
GNOCCHI WITH CHERRY TOMATOES, BASIL, AND BUTTER
2 tbsp butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
1 handful basil, torn
freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a pot of water to the boil.
2. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a pan over medium heat until the butter is foaming. Add the chopped garlic and fry lightly till fragrant.
3. Add the cherry tomatoes with a pinch of salt and let cook for a few minutes until they have softened and burst slightly.
4. The water should be boiling now. Tip the gnocchi in with a generous pinch of salt. Cook the gnocchi in steadily simmering water; they are done once they float to the surface. Be careful not to overcook! It should take only a minute or so.
5. Drain the pasta and tip them straight into the pan of butter and cherry tomatoes. Toss the gnocchi gently in the sauce, then stir in the torn basil. Finish with a grind of black pepper.