Butternut Squash, Apple & Pecan Bundt Cake by Baking Addict
October 22, 2014
Ros, who writes the blog The More Than Occasional Baker, has written about her virgin experience with veg boxes and also shared some lovely ideas for her Uber Mixed Box, including this delicious-sounding Roasted Butternut Squash, Apple & Pecan Bundt Cake with Maple Cinnamon Glaze.
Makes 1 large bundt cake
For the cake
1 small squash + 2 tablespoons brown sugar for roasting
3 small apples, peeled, cored and chopped
200mls olive oil
190g light muscovado sugar
300g wholemeal flour
1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda
2.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1.5 teaspoons miced spice
0.5 teaspoon ground nutmeg
150g pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
For the maple cinnamon glaze
250g icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
60mls maple syrup
2 - 4 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Peel the squash and cut into small cubes.
3. Place on to a baking tray and sprinkle with brown sugar.
4. Roast in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until soft.
5. In the meantime, prepare the cake batter - In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients and mix well.
6. Add in the eggs and olive oil and mix.
7. Stir in the chopped apples followed by the pecans and finally the roasted butternut squash.
8. Pour the batter into a bundt tin and bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
9. Allow to cool completely before turning out.
10. Make the glaze by placing the icing sugar, ground cinnamon, butter and maple syrup in a mixer and mix on low to medium speed.
11. Slowly add the milk one tablespoon at a time until it's smooth and has the consistency you require. You may need to add more icing sugar if it's too thin or more milk if it's too dry.
12. Drizzle the syrup over the cake before serving.