May is the month for asparagus!
May 11, 2015
The most coveted season of the year is here; yes the sweet stalks of British asparagus are back in the veg boxes!
We love asparagus, but we love so many other vegetables we find the nation's obsession with asparagus quite perplexing. That said, asparagus really is one of the most delicious things this time of the year. They are wonderful simply steamed and served with melted butter or hollandaise sauce. You need nothing more really.
However, if you’re feeling adventurous, we have 2 great spring recipes for you to try:
serves 2-4 as a side
1 bunch of asparagus
handful of cashew nuts
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, minced
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp cornflour+ 1 tsp water to make a slurry
2 tbsp groundnut oil
1. Trim asparagus by snapping off the tough ends, saving these for soup. Chop into finger lengths. Mix the oyster sauce, soy sauce and cornflour slurry for the sauce later.
2. Heat wok over medium heat and dry-toast the cashews, stirring constantly till they are golden-brown and release their nutty aroma. Set aside.
3. Turn up the heat, add the oil, and when the oil is smoking hot, add the garlic and ginger, stir-frying for about 5 secs till aromatic. Add the asparagus, stir-fry for 1-2 min, or till just tender. It should still retain its bite and bright green colour.
4. Stir the sauce again, then pour into the wok. Cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Return the cashews to the pan and give a final toss to coat. Serve right away with steamed rice.
CHICKEN & ASPARAGUS STEW WITH DILL & LEMON
1 yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
500g free range chicken drumsticks
250ml chicken stock
1 bunch asparagus
sea salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp lemon juice
handful of dill, chopped
1. Heat the olive oil up in a large heavy-based pot, then add the onion and garlic, sautéing till fragrant.
2. Add the chicken thighs and pour in the stock. Bring to a boil, and once boiling, turn the heat down low. Simmer for 30 min, partially covered.
3. Meanwhile, peel and chop the potatoes into small cubes. Trim the asparagus and chop into quarters.
4. Add the potatoes to the pot and cook for 15 min, or till the potatoes are tender. Tip in the asparagus and cook for 1 to 2 min more, till they are crisp tender and bright green.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Finish with a squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of chopped dill.