Cavolo Nero Ribollita
November 28, 2015
200g dried white beans
3 tbsp good olive oil
100g chopped pancetta or smoked bacon
3 stalks celery
6 cloves garlic
800g can plum tomatoes
6 cups cavolo nero
2l chicken stock
4 cups torn stale bread
1/2 cup fresh basil
sea salt and black pepper
1. Soak beans overnight. The next day, drain, place in a pot with 2l water, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and let the beans cool in their liquid.
2. Chop the onion, carrots, celery and mince the garlic. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and over medium heat, fry the pancetta with these vegetables till tender.
3. Add the tomato puree, chicken stock, cavolo nero and beans, along with 500ml of its cooking liquid. Bring to the boil and let simmer for 30 min.
4. Add the bread and let simmer for 10 more min. It will soak up all the wonderful juices and thicken up the stew.
6. When ready to serve, stir in the basil, taste and season, and finish with the last tablespoon of olive oil.